Saturday 23 April 2016

Read-a-thon Time

Yesterday, I signed up to take part in Dewey’s 24 hr read-a-thon. This will be my first read-a-thon challenge. The read-a-thon is online, and hence open to all. It starts on 23 April US time, which starts at 5:30 pm here today.



I thought this event would be a great opportunity to read some of the many unread books I have at home. The only Kindle book I have added to my list is the one I was already reading. I won’t be reading the entire 24 hrs but I will spend as much time as I can reading.

I will try to post individual reviews of the books as I finish them and will have a last timeline post of how I completed the challenge. I think the number of books I’ve selected is a lot, but I hope I can get through most of them as they are mostly fast reads.

So, I’ve selected 5 books and 1 Kindle book. I wish I had an unread horror book lying around to read late at night. I’ll get some for the October challenge. I might, possibly also switch one for another Shakespeare, because of all the Shakespeare posts everywhere!  I will probably follow the below reading order. 



1.       The No. Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. (Pgs.67/234)
2.       A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare (Pgs.152)
3.       Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse(Pgs.260)
4.       Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Pgs.187)
5.       Leave it to Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse (Pgs.328)
6.       Nancy Drew: Ghost in the Machine, a Graphic Novel by Stefan Petrucha and Sho Murase (No pg. numbers)


My total page count is 1094, which should be possible to achieve. I will try to read for at least 12 of the 24 hours. I’m very excited to begin and I wish all of the other participants a very good reading time.

Mini Challenges Completed:

Hour 01: Opening Meme
Hour 02: Our Bookish Childhoods (Missed the deadline)

Hour 03: Five Word Story 


Readathon Hour 2 Mini-Challenge: Our Bookish Childhoods

1. My family does not read much. But my mom still told my sis and me the stories she knew. My first memory was my mom reading out bedtime stories. She would always tell us about Cinderella, the only fairy tale she knew I think. She won the fairy tale book as a prize for a science competition.

2. Around the age of 10, I made friends who liked to read and was introduced to Enid Blyton. My favourite series were Secret Seven and Famous Five. This made a big bookworn. And then, I was also introduced to Harry Potter and i stuck with the series till seven years later when it ended and still continue to love it.

3. During my pre-teen years I would read the occasional Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and more Enid Blyton books. I read below my age level as you can guess.

4. We would have Scholastic book fairs in my school when I was teenager. I started reading Agatha Christie, Sherlock, Goosebumps and Fear Street books. I also began reading YA books around supernatural events similar to Fear Street novels, which were a guilty pleasure.

5. Where I live, we finish schooling by 15 yrs of age. I had started reading Sidney Sheldon and the Nancy Drew On Campus series. I was also desperately waiting to get my hands on the Order of the Phoenix that had just released and all friends were reading.

Readathon Hour 3 Mini-Challenge: Five Word Story


The words came to life.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Nancy Drew growing up and always do a little happy dance when I see someone reading it. Have a great time read-a-thoning today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved ND growing up as well. Even the school and college versions. This is a graphic novel, someone gifted me, I'm reading for old times' sake. Have a great time yourself. =)

      Delete