Sunday 24 April 2016

End of Event Survey: Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

I just completed my first ever read-a-thon. I was very excited throughout the event and really spent the first few hours online instead of reading. I had planned to read 6 books in 12 hours, but I managed to spend only 8 1/2 hours spaced throughout the day. Here's my response to their Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon end of event survey.

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?It was already 11 pm barely six hours into the read-a-thon time for me. However, I was completely able to read at a stretch only then. Around 1 pm, I had barely 45 mins of the book remaining to go. I was feeling very sleepy and thought I would continue the book in the morning. But I pulled through and manged to read the last half hour or so of the book standing to avoid falling asleep. =)
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?I would suggest picking books from your favourite genre. It would be best to keep aside a well-reviewed book on your TBR list for when you're less energetic. I think I should have spent better time planning my books, but I just randomly selected unread books I had lying around at home at the 11th hour.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season?This was my first time participating and I was not sure how exactly to respond to the mini challenges. At first, I left my response in the original blog comment. Then I didn't know I had to link my blog/twitter where I was active.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?I thought the hosts and organizers did a splendid job. I cannot compare to the previous ones as I didn't participate earlier.
  5. How many books did you read?I managed to read 2 and 1/2 books in 8 and 1/2 hours. One was a graphic novel and I was already 67 pages into my first book, but in all I read 381 pages.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
    Nancy Drew #9: Ghost in the Machinery (Girl Detective, Graphic) by Stefan Petrucha
    Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?I enjoyed Ladies' Detective for its theme of life as a woman in Africa and the small mysteries. However, I'm really enjoying the humour in Something Fresh. It's definitely a book I will read more than once. I still have 50% left to complete it.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?I did not enjoy the Nancy Drew graphic novel. I thought the plot was not much developed. I think its marketed towards the pre-teen group, but I think the plot is insufficient for that age group as well.
  9. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?Very likely! I'm already looking ahead to the October read-a-thon. Horror and mystery is my favourite genre. I will plan and buy some of the books I've been wanting to read for long and will save them till October if possible. I loved responding to tweets and checking out other readers' posts so I might sign up for a cheerleader as well.
I cannot wait for the next read-a-thon. I don't know if the date is fixed yet, but I can surely put in more time to read and will definitely sign up. I would love to have a more immersive experience next time and to read for longer stretches, maybe even the whole 24 hours! My weekend was definitely well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment